Sunday, May 08, 2011

I Wish My Girlfriend is a Gumiho

My Girlfriend is a Gumiho is a Korean fantasy romantic comedy that featured the pretty Shin Min Ah as the Gumiho and Lee Seung Gi as Cha Dae Woong, the guy who accidentally released her from captivity. In case you don’t know yet, according to my BFF Google a gumiho or nine tailed fox is a creature that appears in Korean, Japanese and Chinese folklores. A gumiho is said to be able to transform into a beautiful woman and seduce men to eat their liver.





But Mi ho in My Girlfriend is a Gumiho is totally the opposite of this. She doesn’t want to feast on human but on the contrary the pretty Miho felt that she’s indebted with Dae Woong because he released her from the painting.

My Girlfriend is a Gumiho is on top of my Kdrama list (you can read the list in my blog). It just displaced Coffee Prince from the number one spot. And why not? The Hong Sisters sure know how to make a beautiful drama series from start to finish.

Aside from the pretty Shin Min Ah, there were a couple of things that made My Girlfriend is a Gumiho interesting. I was proud to see a familiar Pinoy product on screen while watching Episode 3. Yes, it was the first time I saw San Miguel Pale Pilsen in a Korean drama. Yes that’s T-ara’s Hyomin drinking the Filipino beer.





Then there’s the funny old couple. Chow Yun Fat look-alike Director Doo-hong (Sung Dong Il) and Dae Woong’ s aunt Cha Min Sook (Yoon Yoo-sun) provided a funny side-story as their relationship progresses.

Before My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, the Hong sisters did You’re Beautiful. Some of its cast members did cameos in My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. UEE, who is just as lovely as Min-ah, played an art student in one of the episodes. A. N. Jell member Jeremy (Lee Hong Ki) had a part in the finale. Park Shin Hye came out as Go Mi Nyeo as well.




Then there’s No Min Woo as the goblin Dong-joo. The former TRAX member played his part well and I really think that the character can be one of the best Kdrama characters ever. It is a complex role that is as important as the two leads. The viewers would love to hate him (well except for the fangirls who spazz every time he’s on the screen). But in the end we learn his true intentions and we don’t hate him anymore. Min Woo did a good job and I’m betting that we’ll see him as the lead of a drama soon.




One of the things I liked about My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (aside from the pretty Shin Min Ah) is that it was honest. Dae-woong and Mi-ho were honest with each other all throughout the series. Well, except for that time when Mi Ho told Dong Joo to give the bead to Dae-woong and tell him that it’s the only way to save her.

Dae-woong (Lee Seung Gi): It doesn’t matter if you’re a ghost, or a gumiho, or a person. It doesn’t matter. It’s enough that you’re in front of me. If you’re back, that’s enough.




Dae Woong and Mi Ho’s epic love story shows that love knows no boundaries. Well, who wouldn’t fall in love with Min-ah even if she has nine tails? But the ending of My Girlfriend is a Gumiho is the best. I thought we’ll have an Iris ending but she came back and not in a cheesy way. The angst-filled finale episode has a fluffy ending, which satisfied the hopeless romantic in me.

Hoi hoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment