What has the Korean entertainment world come to lately? Once upon a time I was a high school student, kicking it to K-Pop tunes in 2008 and 2009, imitating the silly and fun dance moves and singing the ad-libs in my shower like no other.
Now, I'm in my 20s, crying during my struggle to enter adulthood, and it feels as if K-Pop is growing old with me. In 2015, K-Pop is rife with scandals, controversies, and sexy concepts. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind celebrities dating or idols sexing up the stage; I just miss how simple K-Pop used to be to my naive, teenage eye. I don't want to think about certain idols' messy lives or the sexy concept as a marketing ploy to get the fanboys' moneys. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
So, for those of us who got into K-Pop when Wonder Girls and TVXQ were still each 5, let's jump into the time machine together and reminisce. Here are the reasons why the 2008-2009 era was one of the best.
1. All my favorite groups were still together.
AKA when there was no JYJ and only TVXQ.
2. "Omona" was happening.
So "omona." Much Sohee. Too cute.
3. Almost PARAADIIIISE!
4. When Mishil was the scariest person in the world
The good kind of scary. The kind of scary that you can hide from when you turn off your computer screen. We have much more to be scared of now--words like "disbandment," "lawsuit," "BREAKING"....
5. When Lee Byung Hun was just another hot, K-Drama male lead
Sweetest kiss ever? Eh? Eh?
Plus, more opportunities to see this piece of sexiness.
Ugh. Right in the heart.
6. Other K-Drama notable mentions
'Iljimae' (and his luscious locks of hair)
7. The golden days of 'We Got Married'
8. When K-Pop dance moves were actually pretty easy to dance to
Washing hands, washing hands.
Put all the aegyo possible in those fist pumps girls!
9. The cuteness that was WonderBang and 2PM Generation.
10. When 2NE1 raised the roof with "Fire"!
The start of good things to come.
11. When it was a "Time to Looooooove."
Before the Hwayoung fiasco hit the fan.
Bonus: When Lee Hyori was THIS HOT.
...Oh wait, just kidding, she's still hot.